Nixon's Memoirs: Nothing major today

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Nothing major today

Finally made it back to the YWCA today (bad Nixon BAD NIXON!)
My weight has been fluxuating within a ten pound range lately, up and down quite a bit. It's driving me nuts.

Kind of accidently picked up an extra shift today, I told the weekday overnight guy that I'd work his Friday overnight, fully expecting my weekend overnight cohort to accept my generous offering of the shift to him, as he loves to work overtime. He turned it down, so now I'll be working Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon overnight. Oh well, it'll be 9 extra hours on my next check!

The kids at work seem to be getting more needy lately. They've been approaching me for more and more hugs, which I gladly give, but then they don't seem to want to let go. I feel so much for these kids. Not all of them have bad parents, but some do, and even though my childhood was hard, it wasn't anything like what these kids have been through.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my career choice here lately. Most people I work with actually don't consider what we do to be a career. The money is O.K., but its hardly what one would consider a lot. Most of my co-workers are younger, with noteable exceptions, and have been on the job less than five years. All have some college, most degrees, and most plan on doing something else within the next few years.

My problem is, I don't know what I want to do with my life. I have ideas, like opening a health-conscience sports bar, or teaching, or buying that damned dome theatre that taunts me daily (Village/Cinema 150 for my L-Rock bloggers)

I also have aspirations of voice acting, or if I lose weight, acting in general, with my absolute dream job being a game show host.

But, oddly enough, every 'career test' I take says I should do either what I'm doing, or something I've already done (Corrections work, Social work). With the one exception being "Minister", which I've applied to do in the past, but was screwed over by the church on. (Didn't change my faith, only my opinion of THAT church)

If it weren't for my "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" attitude, which is a direct result of a bad experience with cooking school, I would consider taking another risk to do something I could call a career.

But, the fact remains I'm happy and stable at my current job, which makes it easy to give up on my dreams, and settle for my reality.

Mood: Overwhelmed
On Launchcast: Blueberry Boats (And Pink Elephants) -Joy Electric

5 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling overwhelmed (((hugs))). If you don't HAVE to change, why do it? You should do something you enjoy, though, so if you aren't enjoying your current job, then by all means look for something else. I have a dear friend who's working at a job he HATES but he hasn't tried to find anything else... it would be out of his "comfort zone" and plus he's usually so tired after work that he just doesn't have the energy to pound the pavement. It's a sad situation, and I wish I could just "GIVE" him a job he'd like. Unfortunately, that is out of my control.

All that to say - do what you like, and to you-know-where with the money!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger laurie said...

i know what you mean about the job thing. i love what i do and i don't make nearly enough money to survive comfortably. i even applied for, interviewed for, and got a new position that paid more money and i ended up turning it down because i knew i wouldn't be nearly as happy doing that as i was doing what i do now. the main reason i'm staying where i am now? all my friends work in my department and i'm not ready to abandon them just yet. i know i'm not going to work in this department forever, i'm just liking the stability and the fact i know what i'm going to be doing everyday.

no harm in dreaming of something better. just wait until you're comfortable and ready to move on to accomplish those dreams.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger The Barefoot Boi said...

Nothing wrong with floating for a while --- or forever! Do what you want, not what's expected of you.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Special K said...

You used the word "settle". I think that sums it up perfectly. Why is it human nature to usually just "settle"?

Okay, being content is nice and all, but think just how much more fulfilled and maybe ecstatically happy you could be when you chase your dreams.

Although, I'm just preaching to myself here ;o)

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Middle_America said...

I hear you on the being comfortable on the job as well. Most people don't like change anyway and when you compound a family to support on it, it makes it very difficult to move in another area.

I suggest you pray about it and see what doors might open up for you. It may sound cheesy but in my experience it works.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather