Nixon's Memoirs: Bandmasters and Bad kids

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Bandmasters and Bad kids

Knowing my wife reads my blog, it makes it an interesting prospect sometimes when I use this journal to share my feelings on thing related to her. But, she seems to respect it as a forum for my feelings, so it's not too much of a gamble I guess, as long as I don't go airing dirty laundry.

The wife is off to Fort Smith this week for the American Bandmasters Association convention. This is something I normally do with her, but due to work and financial concerns, we thought it best that just she go this year. It's kind of like work for her, as she goes to workshops, seminars, etc. Me, I usually hang around the vendor booths and sample fundraising food and pick up flyers and the like from all the displays. This saved her the trouble of having to do it all herself, and then she hits the highlights I've chosen later.

The drawback to this is that she will be gone until Saturday, and I've already been missing her horribly the last few days, as my work schedule, and her schedule have conflicted so much that recently we saw eachother for 15 minutes in a 48 hour period.

I enjoy spending time with my wife, and not having her here is saddening. However, when we are together, I don't think we take enough advantage of it. We both get kind of lost in our own little worlds, either on the computer, or television, or reading, or work related things, or reading the Bible.  So, sometimes, even when we're together, we're apart.

Memphis was a welcome change to that pattern, where we spent every moment together save restroom visits.

Some of my readers may be confused by the two new links on the left side of my blog. As I mentioned in my last post, I am supporting President Bush in the upcoming election. However, I also feel that the Libertarian candidate deserves a look, and to be heard, as I think he offers some very fresh perspectives to the issues at hand.

Moving on to the rest of my day today, I went to work for my weekly "Staffing Team" meeting, where we, the front line staff, are brought in at an inconvenient time to let the administration folks hear our opinions on the patients' progress based on our fourty hours+ week spent with them. Then, after carefully listening to our input, which they could have easily read in our charts and daily communication log, we are summarily ignored, and they make decisions based on their own opinions, usually formed from 0-1 hour of weekly contact. So, imagine my delight when we were summoned from the meeting to respond to an irate patient at the house. The patient was unable to be verbally de-escalated, and had to be personally restrained. In the course of the personal restraint, he managed to land a fist solidly to my chin. It hurt for a little while, but is fine now.

My dilema now is that my boss wants me to press charges against the young man. He said it's up to me, and I don't want to do it, but it was obvious my boss would prefer that I did so.

This kid has already had a hard life, and the thought of sending him back to jail just doesn't sit well with me.  I don't think I'll do it, but then I fear my boss will think less of me.

The highlight of my day was my friend Dale and I went to see The Bourne Supremacy. Whew! What a great flick! I still prefer The Bourne Identity, but this one was just as exciting.

Now, with the house to myself, I'm watching the Phillies and Marlin(s) and trying to keep myself from getting super bored. Thanks for all your input and support, blog readers!

 

8 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try not to make the story too long. I saw a billboard on I-30 for peoplemattertogod.com and tried to access the site - no luck. I figured I must have typed it wrong so I googled peoplemattertogod and got a link to your blog. I have never looked at a blog before. There, I found a link to peoplemattertogod.com but the site is apparently not working which is why I couldn't find it in the first place. So, I read your blog for a few days and you seem like someone I should know. Okay, an end to the weirdness, but anyway I live in central Arkansas and find what you have to say interesting. I couldn't find a way to email you from the website so this will have to substitute. All in all an enjoyable diary, thanks. circabellum@comcast.net

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Nixon Casablanca said...

Wow, thanks for the compliment. I just clicked over to the peoplemattertogod.com site, and it was working on my browser, so I don't know what to tell ya there.

My e-mail is: pubthumpin@yahoo.com

I need to get that put up over there on the left somewhere.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Nice post Nixon. I understand your dillema on missing the honey. The first day or two is kindof nice for a break but after that, I am ready to get back home.

Fort Smith is like 10 minutes from where I live dude. Too bad we cannot connect up sometime.

I hear you on the 'into your own worlds' at times even though your in the same house. I enjoyed your blog this time. Seemed you opened up more. : )

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Forgot to ask you though, how did you get the Bush/Cheyney on the webpage?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Nixon Casablanca said...

Just go to the site, they have a "blogger" section with the HTML you need to put it on. I got the idea from Marcvs The Bard's blog.

Oh, I do hope we will hook up sometime!

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thnx for the kind response. I guess there's something in my security settings that keep the site from working. At home I get an "image box" that never turns into a picture. Here at work I just get a page not found message. The Church website looks good, I've checked it out. But now my curiosity on the peoplemattertogod has turned into a quest for the holy grail! Sheeeesh, some of these web designers are so hung up on creating something totally cool that they don't think about some of us not being able to view it...I may have to go to the library...I don't think they have any restrictions on what you can view there, do they? Oh wait, they probably do if it involves a Christian point of view. All other religions are politically correct, but being a Christian is not acceptable to our government. Makes you wonder, if we ask God to stay out of our government enough, do you think He will? That would be disasterous...

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Anonymous, another good link is Answers in Genesis. It has alot of info as well.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Thanks Nixon! I have the Bush/Cheyney, now as well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather