Nixon's Memoirs: The contest resumes...

Saturday, August 21, 2004

The contest resumes...

What contest, you may ask?

Every year, during high school football season, or "marching season" as it is known to my wife and other high school band directors, I arrange my work schedule so that I can get Friday "off" to assist my wife in chaperoning the band kids.

And so, every week, I would personally compare how her band students behaved compared to my residential treatment kids. Most weeks, my kids would be the better behaved. Not entirely fair, I know, as the adult-to-child ratio is not the same, but then again, all of MY kids have documented psychological issues and most have criminal records. Also, for the first two years, my wife taught at a Little Rock public school.

Last year, she moved to a much smaller district outside of Little Rock, and for the most part, these children were far nicer. Most weeks, her kids would win.

Flash to today, my wife calls, sounding very frustrated and almost to the point of tears. Today was supposed to be the annual "Check out uniforms and clean the concession stand" day. Well, to save some time, after the first few students had checked out uniforms, she sent them to the concession stand to get started on that. To make a long story short, which is what I made her do, the kids couldn't stay out of trouble, and ended up throwing paper towells at eachother, spraying eachother with cleaner, and eventually it seems, it turned to fisticuffs.

Then, the parent of one of the children came out. This parent has, in the past, been one of the most fantastic band parents we've had. She has been single-handedly running the concession stand and attaining volunteers, served as a fellow chaperone on the bus, and been to every band parent function. Well, her son was one of the students involved in the incident, and she made it worse by coming up and insulting the other students, and telling my wife that if she didn't handle the situation, that she would go straight to the Superintendent.

That's the last I heard of it. My reccomendation to my wife was to contact her Principal, and come up with an appropriate discipline, which I suggested should be expulsion from band. She may end up doing something less drastic, but the whole situation could end up falling under the new strict anti-bullying rules, and possibly violate terroristic threatening rules on the part of one of the boys. (There were four boys and a girl involved.)

So, we haven't even had the first football game yet, and already, my kids are winning. :D

Seriously though, this situation could be serious, and I certainly hope it doesn't have any serious implications on my wife.

*Update* My wife called the Superintendent herself (good move) and was assured that her job was not in jeopardy. The students will be given the proper punishment on Monday.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger A Teenager Seeking the Truth said...

Thanks for checking my site out... the words you speak couldn't not be more true, I'm glad to hear that questions are a normal thing for a Christian to have... in case you have the time I would appreciate it if you took a look at some of the questions I've posted, I think, at least based on the comment you left me, that you could help me figure a few things out. Thank you so much for your time and may God bless!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger France said...

Ah, the joy's of teaching hormone raging adolescents! Tell your wife I'm right there with her and I will pray for her sanity this 04-05 school year. Pass along this idea to her...... I have done this every year for the last 5 years and the results are amazing. Pray over the classroom. On the first day of school I pray over every desk and the doorway. I ask God to bless the school year, to bless every student that sits in the desk and to overwhelm the students with self control, respect and the desire to learn. I'm not saying that it's all perfect after that but I notice more control on my part and the students compared to what other teachers say about the same students in other classes. I'll be anxious to here how it goes this year for you and the "competition". :)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

What a way to start the season :-\ Hope it only gets better for her from here!

BTW - I want to mention that I enjoy getting to "keep up with you" via this blog. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather