Nixon's Memoirs: The last grandparent

Monday, August 09, 2004

The last grandparent

Elsie passed away last night, she was 83.

I knew her better as "Grandma", of course, and she was one fantastic woman.

In 1948, my mother was 3 years old, and her parents were driving her when a drunk crossed over the center line, throwing my mom clear of the car, breaking her father's legs, and killing her mother.

My grandfather, 39 at the time, was rushed to the hospital, along with my mother, and were well attended to and nursed back to health by a pretty young 26-year-old German nurse by the name of Elsie Suderman.

Florence Nightengale anyone?

My grandfather married that gal, and went on to have four children with her, and she was mother to my mother as well.

As well as the only maternal grandmother I ever knew.

She was generous, sharp as a tack, super-friendly, a good Christian woman. She also loved trying new things. I remember in the 80's driving down the road with Elsie singing "Sunglasses at Night" together. That was pretty cool for a grandma. She also let me drive her car once, and we had a wreck, which she never told my mom about. She also expressed worry for my health up until our last conversation a few days ago.

Her husband passed in 1983, my grandfather. My father's father passed in the mid 80's, my step-father's father passed in 1989, the day of my High School graduation. My father's mother passed in 1991, and my step-father's mother passed two years ago. So, goodbye Elsie, the last grandparent, you will be missed, and heaven has a fine new resident.

Say hello to all the 'grands'.

And still I smile, and sing, for I am happy.


4 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger James said...

Nix,

Great post. I lost my last grandparent in 1992, just a few months before the birth of my first kids. Of course, my parents are getting to the age where I've started to have to face their mortality. Mama is 74 and Daddy is 72. Make the memories good, for someday it's all we'll have left.

Take care, brother,
James

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Nice post. Unfortunately both my grandparents (both sides) passed away before I met my wife.

I had the pleasure of meeting both of hers, prior of their passing. Smile buddy, your right, heaven has a new resident.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

So so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. You are right though. Heaven has a new resident. She's up there with your grandfather now.

I'm lucky enough to still have both of my mothers parents alive and my fathers mom as well. But, I lost both great-grandmothers last year. It was a very sad year for our family.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

((((HUGS)))) Sorry for the loss, but great attitude! My husband has said when he goes, he doesn't want me to have a 'funeral' but to throw a party!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather