Nixon's Memoirs: No progress, so far.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

No progress, so far.

Some people may consider a few pounds lost to be significant, but when you weigh as much as I, the weight fluctuation is really nothing to get excited about. I'm currently a 383, and I still feel awful. I've started taking less to eat with me to work, which is good, but I seem to be making up for it at home. I can't seem to drag myself to the gym, and even my den, which contains a Soloflex, and some other equipment, seems less inviting than it used to. I've only been down there once since the funeral, and I spent more time playing darts than I did working out.

I suppose I can be thankful that I don't weigh 1000 lbs. like that guy from Nebraska, but even he is doing something, and that just makes me seem even lazier.

I know where this is leading, I can see it in my head, and the logic is all there. Wheelchair, amputation, heart attack, dead, and my wife is a thirty-something widow.

If I know all this, why is it so hard for me to do what it takes to correct it?

I just got off the phone with my mother, who is still struggling with her weight, and she's almost 60. She tries to encourage me, but it always just comes off as so much nagging, which makes me sad, which makes me want to eat. ARGH!

I wish I could afford to go to some fat camp somewhere where they say what you can eat, and have you exercise, and all that stuff.

Even better, I wish I could afford to have a personal chef and personal trainer come to my house and prepare healthy meals and encourage me to exercise.

Well, I know one thing we CAN'T afford right now, and thats a lot of medical bills, or a funeral. So maybe I should consider it a good investment and keep trying to get up off my fat butt and do it myself.

Maybe I can hire the band Survivor to come over and inspire me like in that Starbucks commercial.

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Newmomin05 said...

I just wanted to tell you that I feel for you. Have you ever looked into the South Beach Diet? I lost fifty pounds on it last year.
I used to think it was a fad thing, but its one of the low carb diets that is pretty balanced, still lets you eat good carbs but doesn't let you eat a lot of bad fat like Atkins. And you can find tons of free information and recipes and support about it online.
I hope this doesn't sound annoying but I know what you feel like because I tried a lot of different things before I lost weight. Hang in there, you can do it.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Me said...

Ran across your blog and wanted to say good luck in your weight loss journey. It takes a bit of determination and patience. I'm sure you can do it. Try baby steps ... parking far away from your office building and footing it a few extra blocks, dancing and playing outside with the kids ... both things that'll burn calories, but you don't notice cause you're having so much fun. Then move up to synchronized aerobic classes and the like. Might help to have the extra people around for support or find a weight loss group on MSN or something. Just a thought of encouragement. Onwards and "downwards" ... you know for losing weight. :-)

Good Luck!

~*RBG*~

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Hang in there man. Sounds like its becoming a problem, because its on your mind. Try not to make it work. Maybe you and the lady can take up dancing together, or some kindof fun activity.

I know it sucks, but it sounds like you can do it. Regardless of a little dip in your weight still indicates its working. Like I said before, you didnt get it overnight nor will you lose it overnight.
Give it time, it will happen.

As far as the personal chef and trainer. I agree, but we are not Oprah Winfrey. heh heh

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno if this helps but I think the key (as mentioned in another comment) is to do things in baby steps. The idea is to change the way you live one little step at a time. Introduce something really small, get used to it and then it becomes a force of habit. For instance, maybe when you're watching TV, instead of sitting down on the couch, do some stretching or situps.

Oh.. other things that might help include drinking a lot of water every day and walking a lot more.


technostan

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger The Moose said...

Hang in there. In 2003, I was doing my modification of the Atkins Diet(less fatty meats, more lean meats) and I went from 320 to 260 in about 8 months. Still have kept most of it off, and it is a struggle, but it is very possible

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather