Nixon's Memoirs: Guess Who in review.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Guess Who in review.


Posted by Hello
We went to the 7:30 showing of "Guess Who", and the crowd wasn't bad. Inside the theatre there was a good mix of people. For once, I actually enjoyed being distracted at the movies, as a small child took an interest in me during the film, and decided to play with me from the row behind me. The movie moved slowly enough, that it didn't take away from the experience.

Not that moving slowly was a bad thing. There were lots of moments of laughter, followed by moments of genuine tension. This movie brought back a lot of memories of when I first met my wife's folks. Her father was very nice to me, but I could tell her mother did not approve. Much like Bernie Mac in the film, he tries to say it's not that Kutcher's character is white, it's that he lied about a few things. (I won't spoil the surprise here.) My mother-in-law was quite concerned about my weight, and I think she felt free to talk about that, though my race may have also been a factor. We get along great now, by the way!

Overall, I really enjoyed the film, and my wife seemed to like it as well. Her complaint was that "Aston Kutcher is not very good looking." And, in saying this, she of course meant that I'M BETTER LOOKING THAN ASHTON KUTCHER! (woo hoo!)

I'll just be happy when this sort of film isn't a novelty, and more of an everyday thing. My wife and I are working towards making that a reality.

Nixon says: Go see "Guess Who", it's funny, well written, and Bernie Mac delivers a brilliant perfomance.

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Thanks for the review Nixon. I was wanting to see the film when it hit's dvd. Now I will have to see it.

I must say, when I was raised those types of relationships were a no no. However, over time and maturity, worldview's change.

My wife also has a married cousin that is inter-racial. I think the view is changing on this. However, I am sure some peoples view will never change. (shrugging shoulders)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Nixon Casablanca said...

I guess it's not so much as when, but how we were raised. My mother brought me up believing that love and friendship knew no color barriers. My mother, after divorcing my father, dated outside of her race often, and encouraged me to interact with everyone equally. But you are correct, some to this day still feel it is wrong, and some always will. I, for one, choose to ignore their ignorance.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather