Nixon's Memoirs: Opening Day with the Travelers

Friday, April 08, 2005

Opening Day with the Travelers

I had been planning on this day for months. I took the evening off, and went with my new friend Nathan and his wife to Ray Winder field to watch the Arkansas Travelers play the Springfield Cardinals.

Nathan's wife works for a local television network, and had passes for us to get in free. What a great night! The rain stayed away, thank goodness, and the temperature was wonderful. We were in box seats close to homeplate and the visitor dugout.

Nathan and I were BOTH selected to try the BC Powder Pitch game, in which we attempted to throw a baseball through a small hole in a board. My throw was outside to the left, and Nathan's was low, but we got to keep the baseballs, and got t-shirts. (They didn't have one large enough for me, so I gave mine to my Uncle, who was also in attendance, much to my surprise!) We got our baseballs signed by pitching prospect Ervin Santana as well. Pictures will be forthcoming, as Nathan's wife took some digitals, and will be e-mailing them to me.

Yes, it was ALMOST a perfect night. I stayed on my diet by having only bottled water and a small popcorn. I say almost, because there was an incredibly RUDE woman about two rows behind us, who, along with her spawn, loudly an obnoxiously rooted for the opposing team. That in itself was OK, but then they started heckling Traveler fans, including the one closest to them, namely me. I managed to ignore them until the drunk woman shouted at me to 'SIT DOWN' after a Traveler run scored. I turned to her and said "My city, my park, I'll stand if I want to."
Well, that set her off, and her two daughters and they kept it up the rest of the game.

The Travelers rallied late to win the game 6-5, and as I began to leave, I went over, in an attempt to be polite, and told the two daughters "Enjoy your stay in Little Rock." They replied "We're FROM Little Rock!" This floored me, as they had been rooting for Springfield all night. So I replied. "Oh, I'm sorry, it's just that nobody from Little Rock I know is so RUDE." The girls started yacking about how I didn't know them, yadda yadda yadda, and I walked off. A few moments later, their MOTHER walks up to me, alcohol on her breath, and starts cussing me out. I asked her to walk away from me, but she refused, so then I turned my back on her. I wanted to lay into her about being a lousy mother, etc. etc. but I just told her I was feeding out of her negativity as she continued to curse at me.

So, an ALMOST perfect opening day with the Travs. I bought an Atlanta Braves hat (because oddly, I found myself without one, despite being a fan) and left the park, getting home about 10:30 last night.

I plan on making as many games as possible this season, and the KARK folks are even going to take me to a game and do an interview with me there.

I'm so glad baseball is back!

3 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Sally said...

I guess there is a reason for the steroid investigation in baseball. WHo knew though that the drunk fans were suffering from the aggressive side effects of the subsatnce too. Thats probably why that woman was drunk. She was trying to drink away her steroid abuse sorrows.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Whooo, I was getting embarassed there for a minute. Sorry about the rude drunk and her offspring. But I'm glad they weren't fellow Springfieldians!

"Oh, I'm sorry, it's just that nobody from Little Rock I know is so RUDE." - That's too funny.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger laurie said...

ok so were you sitting with a clear channel spouse? i heaaaard the other night that you saw a game with some CC people and the kark people were upset that you were kickin it with fox news! now i have to worry about what i say b/c i'm afraid CC people might be reading. thanks a lot! hehe j/k!

i'm hoping to catch a few travs games this year. it's been a while since i went out there, and i want to take in as much of ray winder before they shut it down and move the team to nlr. besides, i've been craving a travs icy for like two weeks. they better still have them! i'll keep an eye out for you!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather