Nixon's Memoirs: Rainy days and Garage Sale days...

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Rainy days and Garage Sale days...

...always get me down. Especially when they are the SAME DANG DAY!

I got home from my overnight shift this morning about 8:30, parked down the street, met my wife, and we put up our Garage Sale signs. I've had the ad running in the paper for three days. I've been gathering stuff for well over a month, and today was to be the day we said goodbye to all our clutter.

We began hauling our wares out into the carport at 9:00. One person drove by and asked if we were selling our rake (the ONE item in the entire carport that WASN'T for sale.) I said no, and she drove off. Another guy came by and looked at our dressers, but they just weren't tall enough for his tastes.

And then, the skies opened up, it started pouring down rain, and our carport began to flood. We just barely got all the crap back in the house before our carport was completely covered with water.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I advertised the sale as open from 10 am to 7pm, so if it dries out, we may actually sell some stuff today. If not, ARC of Arkansas is already scheduled for a Monday pick-up. I don't know if we're going to just give it all to them, or try again on Labor Day.

Next Saturday is not doable, of course, because it is the OU home opener against TCU.

So, we've had a stinking drought and a BURN BAN for over a month now, and the day I try to have a sale, GUSHING RAIN! Splendid. And we're butt poor until next payday too. The proceeds from the sale were going to go to buying a few nice things for the house like frames and organizing boxes, etc.

I am one unhappy Nixon.

It's ok, not like I had my leg blown off or anything serious like that.

Update: We got set back up around 1 pm and sold a total of $24 worth of stuff, which was split evenly between us and our friends who are moving to New York. Everything else? It's all back in the den, where we will either give it away, or try another sale in the near future, with more signs and better advertising (and hopefully better weather)

5 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger Circa Bellum said...

for what it's worth, most of the serious yard sale buyers are out between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. so an earlier set up might help. Also, be sure to advertise it as Saturday only.

better luck next time!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger kel said...

I do my sales from 6:30 am till noon. The early the better it seems.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Middle_America said...

Bummer man. However, par for the course.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Nixon Casablanca said...

I've gotten a lot of this advice on the "early" sale thing now. The problem with that is, I'm at work on Saturday morning until 8:30 am. I chose 10 am because I thought that would allow me enough time to set up. I've pretty much decided that tomorrow I'm going to do my level best just to get rid of everything. ARC, Goodwill, whatever. I want all of it OUT OF MY HOUSE!

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, for what it's worth we are making good use out of the things we got at your wonderful carport sale. See you at church. Big O

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather