Nixon's Memoirs: Happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope that you have either made it safely to your destination, or that your visiting loved ones have all arrived safely at your home. Here in the Casablanca household, it will be me, my wife, my brother-in-law, and a dear friend of ours. Mrs. C is busily cooking up a massive feast, including turkey, casseroles, sweet potato pie, chocolate cake, deviled eggs, mac n' cheese, and more.

Meanwhile, Yahoo is reporting that many of our nation's food banks are running short of food this year due to donation burn-out resulting from Hurricane relief.

My church recently collected approx. 2400 holiday meals to be distributed to the Little Rock area, but I'm sure much more is needed by area food banks across the country. Please do what you can.

I will have to sleep during the Cowboys-Broncos match-up tomorrow, something I'm sure a lot of viewers will be doing. But I am looking forward to enjoying a trouncing of the Detroit Lions by by beloved Atlanta Falcons

Sports commentators were seemingly stuck yesterday on the "tradition" of Dallas and Detroit always playing on Thanksgiving. I personally like the tradition, because with those two teams playing, you are always guaranteed one game where you can let the triptophan take over and avoid annoying relatives. Were the "best matchups" suddenly put into the mix, it could make for some ugly family conflict. Plus, with sucky games on Thanksgiving, you never feel like you're giving up much when the women-folk of the clan manage to talk you out of football and instead force you to join the annual family archival photographic research. I may be only 34, but I still remember holidays where the lights went out, the 16 MM projector went up, and reels were stacked with care for an entire afteroon of grainy memories of aunts and uncles seemingly enjoying their childhood, possibly because there were no films for THEM to watch. Don't get me wrong, I miss those holidays like heck now, and would give up a lot just to sit on grandpa's lap one more time eating pecan pie and disbelieving my mother was ever that young.

But I have new memories to make.

This Christmas we'll be going back to Oklahoma. This will be the first family Christmas since grandma died, so I expect a lot of tears, a lot of memories, and I don't expect I'll miss football at all while we pop in the VHS transfers of those 16mm films, along with Camcordered memories of more recent holidays, and look at the wonder in all the nieces and nephews' eyes disbelieving that we were ever that young.

2 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger kel said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We had a good thanksgiving with lots to be thankful for and today hubby and I braved the Black Friday sales! I can relate to the sadness of the first holidays without grandparent its tough.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Nixon! I love looking at old photos of my mom and her family. Its really neat to think of my mom being so young! Ugh, I hate looking at the VHS tapes of ME when I was younger though. Yuck. haha

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather