Nixon's Memoirs: Another New Year!

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Another New Year!

So, here it is 2006 already. Before I set forth my resolutions for the new year, I'm going to review my resolutions from last year:

1: Bite me, Coca-Cola! I've been addicted to your battery acid for too freaking long, and despite my recent purchase of a "Diet Coke" had, pledging my undying devotion to your syrupy product, I will no longer drink the vile bile you've been peddling to me since birth. That's not to say you'll be losing any revenue on me, nind you, as I plan on purchasing lots of Dasani drinking water to fill the void. Got any Dasani hats to sell me?
My soda drinking re-emerged sometime around June, after I was done with the "Arkansas' Biggest Loser" show. I will revisit this in 2006, looking at least a reduction. But now that I work ALL night shifts, my reliance on caffeine is fairly set.


2: Premiere Fitness, take "me" away! If only you folks had been open today, you would have sold a $3000 treadmill to me. But, you'll have to wait to cha-ching that one up until the 3rd now. I'm turning my Price-Is-Right addiction into a healthy one by resolving to spend the Hour of Fantastic Prizes on a new treadmill everytime I watch.
The treadmill was a vital part of my weight loss early in 2005. Sadly, over the last two months I have gained about half that weight back. The treadmill is damaged at the moment, and makes demonic noises when I try to use it. Luckily, it is still under full warranty due to its late arrival last year. I've also broken my addiction to Price is Right and am now back on a Jeopardy fix. I still plan on using the treadmill every day this year once it is fixed, no matter what I'm watching on TV.

3: Triple Word "Score!" To keep my brain healthy as well, I've recently purchased both Scrabble Online, and the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary. I hope this will replace other mindless (and possibly blinding) online pursuits.

I'm burned out on Scrabble, mainly due to the fact my best friend keeps beating me everytime we play. I've moved on to crossword puzzles and online poker.

*******************************************************************
That covers 2005, now for 2006. I believe in the principle of 3's, so here we go:

1: Do things without being asked; I can see when the trashcan is full, the sink is full, or the floor is dirty. It's high time the wife and I stop playing "Hamper Jenga". The fact that I work nights does not totally absolve me from household responsibility. This also applies at work, where I work with one co-worker. We have many duties throughout the night, and my partner usually ends up doing most of it because of his personality. I'm already starting to surprise him by being more proactive at work.

2: Communicate my needs more; Both my spouse and I tend to be rather passive aggressive when seeking to get our needs met. Instead of saying "Please do this", we'll say "Would you like to...?" or "Would you mind...?" These, of course, are open-ended questions that can lend themselves to getting the answer we didn't want to hear. Also, when I'm in a situation I don't like, I need to let her know it. I tend to stifle my emotions for a while, and then explode at the wrong time, over something that seems minor.

3: Be thankful; I don't think it is wrong to want things, but I do think it is wrong to be ungrateful for the things I do have. Just because I anticipate wanting a Nintendo Revolution when it become available, doesn't mean I don't still love my Gamecube. I believe that I've already achieved maximum thankfulness for my job, which I've really grown to appreciate and love over the last year. It's not perfect, no, but I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing right now.

A blessed new year to all my readers!

5 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger kel said...

Happy New Year, instead of Scrabble have you tried Sudoko both hubby and I are addicted to it and I play it online a lot at http://websudoko.com

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Nixon Casablanca said...

I do not now, or will I ever, get Sudoko. I barely passed high school math, and my ACT score was tanked THREE TIMES thanks to those stupid "What number comes next" questions in the math section.

If my local paper ever takes away one single comic strip I enjoy to put in that garbage, I'm cancelling my subscription.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger laurie said...

i'm not a math person at all either, but i play Sudoko sometimes. once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad. definitely works my brain muscle!

you should cancel your subscription anyway. the newspaper is so archaic.

hehe! happy new year Nixon! thanks for being such an excellent blogger!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Crazy Band Director said...

best of luck!
I miss you and the wife... a LOT lately!!!
Hope to see BOTH of you soon :D

 
At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Sketchplanet said...

Happy new year..oops for 2008. Check out http://www.sketchplanet.com for another flash game

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




Laura Ingraham Show

Michelle Malkin




THIS WEEK'S SERMON FROM CHURCH @ ROCK CREEK



Lileks.com



Michael Eubanks
Click



My blog is worth $95,971.80.
How much is your blog worth?



BLOGS FOR NIXON:
  • Travelerocity
  • g Sides
  • Middle America
  • Busy Busy Mommy
  • Laurie's 'Stupid Mouth'
  • Jewelsie
  • Who reads this crap?
  • Samantha Burns
  • Marcvs The Bard
  • Penquin's Ponderings
  • Musical Musings
  • Mister Mom
  • The Blogfather
  • Words by Nikki
  • Baseball Crank
  • Techno Stan
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Powerline
  • Arkansas Blog Index
  • Spatula City BBS
  • Dustbury, Oklahoma
  • Stephie's Thoughts
  • Republican Jen
  • Infinite Monkeys
  • Ivy Slush
  • Circa Bellum
  • Nehring The Edge
  • Annika's Journal
  • Passing Thoughts
  • Rite Turn Only
  • Six Meat Buffet


  • Who Links Here
    FUN ZONE
  • Wrassle.Net
  • I Sketch

  • My Yahoo!Launchcast Station

  • Acro Challenge

  • WWLS Radio

  • OTHER LINKS


  • Matt Dusk

  • BEER FOR SOLDIERS!
    eXTReMe Tracker
    Site 

Meter
    Glenn Reynolds Says

    The Alliance

    Listed on BlogShares

    The WeatherPixie
    Little Rock Weather